Rafael Nadal says he and his family are ‘very well’ after birth of first child, son.
Rafael Nadal has said it wasn’t the birth of his son that was difficult, but that he and his family had to wait a long time to meet his son.
The seven-time Grand Slam champion and wife Nadine, who announced on Tuesday they are expecting their first child, have since welcomed their bundle of joy into the world, the Spanish outlet Europa Press reported.
Nadal, who won his first Grand Slam title at the 2009 Australian Open, made the dramatic announcement on Tuesday, saying: “We are very well. The birth was not difficult for me or my wife.
“We waited a long time to have our first child — we have waited about 12 years, almost.”
Nadal’s announcement came a day after the couple revealed plans for the baby, saying they have already ordered the “best things for him”, including a baby bouncer, baby clothes and even a baby teddy bear.
Nadal’s father, Jose Carlos, had hinted earlier this week that he was not pleased that his first daughter was not arriving until she was five months pregnant — a timeline Nadal had long criticised, saying it was “ridiculous”.
However, the tennis star has since said that his wife and the baby’s birth has been “very easy”.
“We were told that we’d have a healthy baby,” he said. “It was not a difficult birth for me, or my wife and I think we were very optimistic. The pregnancy went well and everything was going very well. We waited 12 years, almost.”
In a statement, the Spaniard’s manager, Fernando Verdasco, said Nadal was “very happy”.
“We are all very happy,